SHAWARMA SALAD BOWL
This chicken shawarma salad bowl is jam-packed with flavour and nutrition. Enjoy this as a hearty plant-based meal the whole family will love. This recipe is easily customizable.
WHAT IS SHAWARMA?
Shawarma is a Middle Eastern readiness of meat, for example, sheep, chickpea, beef or lamb, cut in slim cuts and stacked on a vertical rotisserie. I’m certain you’ve seen them it in real life previously. Shawarma is typically presented with fixings like tabouleh, tahini, pita, pickles and hummus.
Prep Time: 45 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 55 mins | Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Teaspoon smoked paprika, see notes
- 2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon cayenne, or to your taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon ground corriander
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1–2 heads romaine, washed and chopped, about 12 cups
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes, 8 ounces
- 1 English cucumber, cut in half and thinly sliced, 3 cups, 10 ounces
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced, 1 cup, 4 ounces
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Mix together the chicken with the olive oil, all the spices, garlic, and sea salt until completely combined. Marinate for at least 1 hour, but 8 hours or overnight is even better.
- When you’re ready to cook the chicken, prepare the dressing. Add all the ingredients for the dressing to a blender, and blend until smooth. Set the dressing aside until the serving time.
- Preheat the over medium high heat until the oven reaches 350º-400ºF.
- While the oven heats, start preparing all of the salad ingredients.
- When the heated is ready, place the chicken on the clean oven and cook about 5-6 minutes, or until the chicken loosens and is easy to turn. Grill and additional 4-5 minutes on the 2nd side, or until the chicken is done and no longer pink in the center.
- When the chicken is done, let is cool slightly before slicing or cubing it up for the salad.
- Serve the salad with the warm chicken, and tahini dressing.
You can use regular paprika if you can’t find smoked paprika, but that added smokiness is worth tracking it down, and using it often.