Any cold-weather meal—bake these creamy, cheesy potatoes in the oven while you grill chicken or finish up a roast in the slow cooker.
- 1 1/2 lb potatoes-sliced thinly-lengthwise a wiped dry
- Leftover Ham
- 2 cloves garlic
- Rub a large gratin dish with garlic (earthenware will take the garlic better) or put the peeled cloves through a garlic press, rubbing the pure and juices all over the sides and bottom of the dish and discarding any solid debris that remains.
- Let it sit for a few minutes until the garlic has dried and is no longer tacky to the touch.
- Butter the dish liberally and pack the potatoes in lightly salted layers.
- Barely cover the potatoes in milk and bring to a simmer on the top of the stove (if using an earthenware dish, protect it with an
asbestos pad underneath).
- Dribble a thin layer of cream over the surface, dot with thin shavings of butter, and bake at 375-400 for about 45 or 50 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed.
Serves 4 to 6