Make Every Day Earth Day
This international event, celebrated annually on April 22nd, builds awareness of our impact on the environment. But really, every day should be Earth Day, to make sure our planet stays healthy and habitable.
Many communities plan fun, local events to mark the day. Some events center around doing things that are good for the environment. This is an excellent place to start. Here are some simple ways to incorporate Earth Day into your everyday:
- Go outside. Simply being outside is good for your health. Take a moment to appreciate your surroundings. Breathe deeply. Thank the Earth for being your home!
- Carry reusable water bottles and coffee mugs. Try to avoid single-use items when possible.
- Clean up. At the park, the beach, or just walking down the street, pick up any stray litter. Don’t want to touch it with your bare hands? Carry a roll of biodegradable doggie poo bags! They take up almost no space in a pocket or purse, and you can use one
asa glove to pick up a few pieces of trash. Bonus: if there’s no nearby garbage can, tie it shut and carry it with you without worrying about the trash touching your stuff! (Or carry a pocket-sized bottle of hand sanitizer to skip the biodegradable bag.)
- Build community. This can be as simple as smiling at others when they see you picking up public trash, or go big and create a community group of like-minded folks. Talk to
neighbours, friends, and use social media to find others who want to live more sustainably.
- Plant something. Community gardens are wonderful if you don’t have land of your own. Plants help produce oxygen and beautify our planet!
With a little awareness and action, you can live a more sustainable daily lifestyle. Start today!