Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
These cookies get their intense flavor from cocoa; cherries lend an unexpected tartness.
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine softened
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 -10 ounce jar of maraschino cherries, drained, reserve juice
- 1 – 6 ounce package of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk
- In large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda.
- In mixer bowl, beat together butter or margarine and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture; beat until well blended. Shape dough into 1″ balls; place on ungreased cookie sheet. Press down center of dough with thumb.
- Drain Maraschino cherries, reserving juice. Place a cherry in the center indention of each cookie. In small saucepan combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk; heat over low heat until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in 4 teaspoons of the reserved cherry juice. Spoon about 1 teaspoon frosting over each cherry spreading to cover cherry. (frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice if necessary) Bake at 350 degrees or until done
- . Remove to wire rack to cool.